Monday, November 12, 2012

CREATING RAPPORT WITH YOUR CHILDREN

Sometimes it can be difficult focusing on your relationship with your children and what they need from you. Your everyday life is busy with work, kids, paying bills, meals, chores, meetings, extra curricular activities. The challenges of finding a balance to juggle all of these things can sometimes put a strain on parents who find themselves just trying to make it through the day. As parents we tend to put ourselves out there and forget to take care of our own personal needs, so that we can be there to focus on building a relationship with our children. Learning to motivate children with love and use your powerful tool of influence. Learning how to communicate more effectively with your child. 

3-Steps to having better communication with your child and building a positive relationship. 

1. Your intentions must be Pure and Clear. If you ask yourself, "What is my motive? Am I motivated by fear or love? Do I value the relationship with my child?" These questions will help you to check your intentions when you are talking with your child. It's also very important to be very clear with what it is you need to share and asking your child to respond back with what it is they heard you say.

2. Create a safe environment. As parents it is crucial to the process of building a positive relationship with our children to make sure we create a safe environment physically and emotionally. So, ask yourself "what do I personally need to feel safe?" "What do I think my child needs to feel safe with me?" "What do I do to make sure that I have that safe atmosphere for my child and myself?"

3. Ask Questions. When you have a child that only answers yes or no and struggles to just talk with you overall, asking he/she questions can help with relationship building. Your opportunity is to seek out what they are feeling, thinking, etc. So, focus on those types of questions. Something else to look out for when asking questions is to be careful of challenging questions. Whenever you find yourself asking your child a challenging question, it will set you back to the question of asking yourself, what is your intentions? An example of a challenging question is "why are you always whining and complaining?" "what did you do to your sister?" "Why is it that every time I get home from work the house is not clean?"

If you follow these three steps along with being patient and consistent in your efforts you will see the results. And that is having a rapport with your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment