Friday, November 9, 2012

VALUE

What is the definition of VALUE?
In the Merriam Webster Dictionary -  its definition is the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance or preciousness of something.


How does a parent define what value is to their children?

As a parent this may be something simple to answer.  However, for some parents it may not be.
Is it the materialistic things we own?  Or how much money we have?  The type of friends we choose to be around?  What kind of car we drive?  Could it be the religion we belong to?  Or the tattoos we have on our bodies?  Is it the way we look or what kinds of clothes we where?  What about the job that we have?  Does that define value?

Often times we determine our value by the roles we play in life.  We use them to define who we are.  When we do this, we connect our value to the external world.  Which puts us in a place to be co-dependent on the world for our value.

Being a parent of 4 children.  I had fears and struggled to figure out how I was going to teach my children the lesson of having value within themselves. Learning the concept of how I find my own value really was an eye-opener for me.  I recognized that I found most of my value externally and through others.  The moment I allowed myself to be honest with myself and realizing that the value within myself was what was going to teach my children, that was the beginning of taking healthy risks to place value in front of my fears and work through the changes I wanted to make. 

Parents must be willing to look within themselves and recognize the value within. Looking at yourself honestly means to look at what is working and what is not working. Begin today and work on the areas that need some improvement and be proud of the areas in which you are doing well.










No comments:

Post a Comment